March 18, 2008

The Tanya Morgan Mixtape


First off, I wanna say thanks to Tanya Morgan for asking me to mix this project. I also wanna shout out the good peoples over at myspace for allowing me to do so. Now, when I was first approached about this, I assumed that Tanya Morgan was a neo-soul R&B singer. That was until I googled them and saw that they are a 3 member rap group from Brooklyn and Cincinnati (one of them actually went to Freaknik with Pase Rock) who had put out an album in 2006, which was hailed by Questlove as one of his favorite albums of that year. So I checked it out and they had some joints that were actually good. Reminscent of indie scene circa 94-96 (before it became a subculture of geeks and new listeners of hip-hop who claimed to keep it real cuz they bought Company Flow records), this project also reminds me of Kanye when he first started dropping mixtapes and was trying to get on as an artist but people kept brushing him off because he was a producer. What's also interesting is that these kids do all of their production... Do they have a future in hip-hop? I'll leave that to anybody who wants to comment after they take time out to listen to this mix...

Tanya Morgan Is A Rap Group - The Mixtape

To download the mix
click here

6 comments:

pipomixes said...

Thanks for bringing this music to the masses. Tany Morgan is quality music. Reminds me of a mix of Little Brother and the Clipse. I know that sounds weird, but it's what came to mind when I heard the mix

Anonymous said...

yay! i found it!

DJ SOUL said...

Von Pea's voice does sound similar to Malice's voice. Reminds me of Shyne being compared to BIG when he first appeared on the scene...

Improvian said...

Soul: Hahaha I remember when people said Von sounded like Jay-Z. Jay and Malice. Not mad at all

Dope mix

And oh snap @ the indie aside. Sometimes I wonder if we (those that were part or witnessed the whole indie scene) helped the split of rap music. Eh that's for another time.

Again, dope mix

Anonymous said...

FRESH. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. PEACE

dave the dope fiend said...

If anyone u or anyone has a link i would appreciate. I was sleeping like a rock and didnt realize what i missed.